The Inception app is an augmented reality game of discovery. By performing some sort of action you unlock dream levels that, when listened through headphones, dynamically mixes the soundtrack of the movie with sounds around you.
This tutorial instructs on how to unlock "The Shared Dream" in the iPhone/iPod Touch app. If you want to figure out the game on your own stop reading.
***** SPOILERS PAST THIS POINT ******
You must have GameCenter installed on your iPhone to get the Shared Dream. It is worth 50 achievement points in GameCentre if you initiate this dream with 1-6 players, however, unlock this dream with 7 or more players you will get 100 achievement points.
This dream was a bit tricky to unlock as it didn't instantly unlock as described in the application. Despite having our GPS on and pressing the dream inducer arrows/buttons in the Inception app it didn't automatically unlock the Shared Dream. This is despite having the iPhones sit next to each other for 30 minutes engaged in the Still Dream (not in infinity mode). We tried experimenting a bit thinking that the GPS wasn't activating within the app. So we tried moving, getting into a car and driving, and more but it wouldn't unlock.
What did work for us was as follows:
- Reboot the phone (this is a precautionary measure and we're not certain it is required)
- Ensure that you have headphones plugged in (this is also a precautionary measure)
- Ensure that GameCentre is installed on your iPhones and you are logged into both.
- Ensure that you have added one another as a friend in GameCentre
- In the Friends section of GameCentre, click on your friend's name
- Under their name you'll see a list of games you have in common with your Friend, click on Inception - The App
- Click on the brown Play button in upper right hand corner of GameCentre to start the Inception app. We believe that this may help the phones find one another.
- Once Inception - The App starts, click the induce dream arrows/buttons and lay the phones down next to each other (or in the same room at least)
- Wait. It took about 5-10 minutes for it to work. When it does, you will get a screen that says that the dream is unlocked. If you have a jailbroken phone, it may crash but once you relaunch the crashed app and click on the Shared Dream dreamspace it will say it's unlocked. Simply click on the infinite play button to fill the dreamspace in.
This completes the dreamscape. I note that my friend's version of the app has all these Google Map icons in his dream pieces. Also, note that the images in the dream pieces seem to be different from phone to phone.
If this worked for you (or didn't) or if you have discovered some other tips to get this dream functioning more easily, please post a comment below to help others.